Royal Tobacco Factory of Seville
The building that today houses the Rectory of the University of Seville, was what used to be known as the Royal Tobacco Factory of the Andalusian capital, the construction began in 1728 and after 35 years was terminated, until 1763 but in 1757 came into use. It is an eighteenth-century industrial building with the largest dimensions and architecture of its kind in Spain. Thanks to its typology makes as one of the oldest buildings that remain in Europe at the time of the old regime. Its style, which is totally alien to the mentality of Sevillian Baroque fashioned in those years is a conservative and classic type, Bourbon architectural aesthetics, not to mention that the local art of the period which has been reflected in its main façade and inside. In 1953 undergoes remodeling in distribution, which transformed it almost entirely, as was necessary since in this same building are currently some faculties and the Rectory of the universally known University of Seville. In the year 1959 was declared as a monument and therefore an asset of cultural interest. The English traveler Richard Ford made mention of this monument calling the Escorial tobacconist, and also known as the Palace of Industry. The rectangular dimensions of this building are 185 x 147 meters, being surpassed by El Escorial whose measures are 207 x 162 m. hence Mr. Ford compare it to the Palace in Madrid. To visit the Royal Tobacco Factory of our city should be directed to the famous Puerta de Jerez, the hours are from 10:00 to 20:30 pm and admission to the common areas is free. Check our best deals in our hotel near the Tobacco Factory in the city center.